Tuesday, July 04, 2006



Today I became a father.

I received the phone call this morning.
"Dave, I'm having the c-section done at 2:00", Weezie said.
Knowing that staying at work and missing this was NOT an option, I called my business partner and he offered to come in to cover for me. Needless to say, I accepted.

Unfortunately, I had forgotten to bring my camera back to work with me where it had been for months. I took it home for the long weekend in case the baby was to come during that time. My first stop was to pick up the camera. The next stop was Weezie's mother's place. Weezie tried to call her, but apparently her mother's phone battery was drained, so she had no way to let her mother know that she was delivering in a couple of hours. By the time I got there, Weezie managed to contact another friend of ours who lives about a block away, so he managed to let her mother know the news. I still had to pick up her bags and pillows, so it wasn't a wasted trip.

I made my way to the hospital and found a parking space in the cavernous sub-terrainian parking lot. I managed to find the elevators (why do they make it so difficult??? signs anyone???) and waited for the climb to the desired floor. Sadly, that's about all I knew about this huge hospital. Turns out I had quite a trek ahead of me before reaching my final destination. One employee, seeing the look of utter distress on my face as I stared blankly at a huge map with a little "You Are Here" symbol came up to me and said "I can help you". In my dazed state, I really don't recall thanking him for pointing me in the right direction, but I'm sure I must have.

The man's directions were not too bad. I made it pretty close to where I needed to be. A couple of more re-directs, and I landed in the right spot. I heard Weezie's voice behind a curtain and was told to go in. Weezie was in the room with her best friend Cindy, her (Weezie's) sister and nephew. I joined the group and we waited until the nurse walked her into the delivery room at around 2:45.

Cindy went with her into the delivery room, and I hung out in the waiting room with her sister and nephew, watching Italy and Germany in the semi-finals of World Cup Soccer. I'm not really a big sports fan, but watching the teams run back & forth made the time pass.

At around 4:30, Cindy came out to bring me in to see my little girl. My angel. My miracle. She was perfect. Absolutely beautiful. As I held her in my arms, I felt what I can only describe as unconditional love. This tiny, fragile human being. Utterly helpless and completely dependent on those who hold her and love her. What amazing things have we done to deserve this blessing?

I managed to hold myself together at the hospital, just basking in the beauty of my little angel. I can't say the same thing right now. I'm having silent little crying spells while I write this, just thanking God for this baby. Hoping I can do right by her. Wanting to protect her from every little thing out there that might harm her. Wanting to do everything in my power to show her she is loved. How is it possible to fall in love so fast?

I now present Brynn Kathleen Mary...

She is absolutely and fabulously beautiful! I'm so happy for you!!!

Congratulations, Dad!
Thanks! :o)
I am completely thrilled. I'm one of those fathers who won't stop taking pictures, printing them immediately and showing her off. Just call me Papa-razzi. I coulnd't be happier.
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?