Tuesday, January 29, 2008

 

Just Catching Up

This has been a busy couple of weeks, so I'll just do a recap of various events.


About a week and a half ago I had Zoe for the day. My baby-mama Weezie's mother was in the hospital getting a new hip, and Zoe, as frequently happens, was ill. Normally when one of the kids is sick, Weezie's mother would look after them, but she was using that "I'm having surgery" excuse that day. So Brynn was dropped off at daycare, Grandma was dropped off at the hospital, and Zoe was dropped off with me while Weezie went to work.

After a bit of crying about mommy leaving, we managed to have a fairly fun day. Of course, being ill, she didn't want to eat anything. She just drank water. Once she was done crying for her mother when I put her down for a nap, she did manage to sleep for a couple of hours, allowing me a bit of time to relax. When Zoe woke up, she was finally ready to eat. Sort of. A few goldfish crackers and a slice of cheese, which for Zoe isn't really bad.

Weezie dropped Brynn off with us after work so she could visit her mother for a while, and The Squeeze and I had a fun time with the kids. I got dinner ready and we all sat down to eat. Of course, at this point Zoe really didn't want to eat. Brynn, on the other hand, was pounding it back. That's my girl! Zoe just wanted water, while her plate of boneless pork ribs, mac and cheese, and corn sat untouched. Weezie cooks these boneless ribs for the kids and they love them, so we picked some up to ensure they'd eat. She would sip her water and slide her sippy cup across the table toward The Squeeze aka "Poppy". At one point, The Squeeze tried to work out a deal with her. "Eat just one piece of meat for me and I'll give back your cup." So Zoe smiled at her Poppy, and put a piece of meat in her mouth. She chewed for a minute and turned toward me with a very sad look in her eyes.

"What's wrong baby? Does your throat hurt when you swallow?" I just figured that with her cold and all, that's why she wasn't eating much. I've been there. No sooner did she nod at me (clearly oblivious to what I meant) then she projectile vomited on the table, the floor, herself, and the chair pad beneath her. So much for that piece of pork. And that slice of cheese and goldfish crackers from the afternoon. I immediately stripped her off and carried her up to the tub for a good hosing down. The Squeeze, god bless him, cleaned up the aftermath in the kitchen.

This past weekend was a lot of fun. The Squeeze and I looked after the kids at Weezie's place in Hooterville while she brought her mother home from the hospital with the new hip installed. That night we went to a 40th birthday party for a friend of ours. There was a whole lot of Mexican style food, much of which was prepared by a saucy Venezuelan woman with a knack for double entendres. She even brought her penis pistol. Ya, it's better to forget I mentioned that. It appeared that she had a thing for Kenny, the birthday boy. Many of us were placing bets on what time they would be getting it on. The majority of the group squeezed into the hot tub on the deck while the rest of us sat inside watching the lunacy through the patio door, keeping an eye on the clock as our guessed time approached. Shortly after my guess of 10:00 pm passed, we headed for home.

Sunday morning, we went out for breakfast and made our way to a giftware and furniture show near Toronto to find a new sofa for our house. We stopped in at a major big box furniture place on our way there and saw a nice leather piece we liked, but we're not in a rush...we'll see. We stayed at the show for maybe an hour or so, finding nothing that we liked.

As we drove home, we decided to catch a matinee. We saw the musical bloodbath, Sweeney Todd. Ummm....wow. There was a whole lot of blood going on there. A light-hearted little romp, it ain't!

I spent the first part of my Monday morning in the dentist's chair getting my teeth cleaned and my gums stabbed. I got a clean bill of dental health. Surprising, considering that I'm really not as big of a flosser as I used to be. I just hate how I tend to shred the stuff and how it sometimes makes my gums bleed. "That means you should do it more," says The Squeeze. Ya, whatever. I must be doing something right. After the cleaning, I apologized to the hygienist for any popcorn residue she may have found from the movie the day before. She said there was no evidence of it at all. Ya, I rock.

I spent the rest of the day and much of the night cooking in the kitchen. I made a ever-growing pot of Curried Coconut Sweet Potato Soup. It was ever-growing because when I tasted the first batch of it, my head nearly blew off from the excess of ginger I put in. I pretty much doubled the recipe again without the ginger, figuring it would be ok. When The Squeeze tried it, his eyes widened at the heat of the ginger. Oh come on! So I made another gingerless batch to add to it yet again. I fiddled with seasonings and coconut milk and broth, and at 11:30 pm, I think I finally achieved success. Of course, now I have about 24 or 30 servings. I'll be putting individual servings in Ziplock bags and freezing them tonight. While I fiddled with the soup, I also made a huge batch of basmati rice and butter chicken for our lunches this week.

Tonight we're joining friends at a fund-raising event where many area restaurants are serving signature soups. The Squeeze suggested I set up a table, since I made enough.

He's a funny, funny guy.

Comments:
Ah, children puking stories are great fun. God bless the Squeeze, indeed, for cleaning up the mess.

I'd say you could mail some of that soup, but I hate sweet potatoes and coconut, the only part that sounded good was the ginger.
 
mmm... ginger....

Look, I had to laugh out loud at the vomiting bit. As much as I wouldn't want sweet Zoey suffering - or your dinner for that matter - I really split a gut.

Does that make me a bad person?

Yeah - I guess so.

pass the bqnsvbye
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?