Wednesday, May 14, 2008

 

More On The Floor

As expected, I received no call from the Depot about my floor on Sunday. While I was out and about on my usual Monday off, I decided to call the department manager from my car at 11:30 before going into my chiropractor's appointment.

Much was said. Mostly, "what the hell is going on there!?!?" You know, that type of thing. As we spoke, she was walking through their receiving area looking for my flooring. She told me she would give me a call back in a few minutes. I was not a happy camper.

After my call, I had my laser treatment, went to the bank, stopped for lunch, stopped somewhere else for an ice cream treat (it's my downfall), and drove to the hospital for my ENT appointment at 1:30. The phone rang as I was parking my car. It was the department manager. Two hours later.

Yes, she found my order. She had authorized a free delivery to make up for the inconvenience. However, that wouldn't happen until Friday. How is waiting four more days less of an inconvenience? I told her that wouldn't work since we wouldn't be home. She said I could come in to get it and she would knock the delivery fee ($60.00) off of the bill. That worked for me.

"When I show up to pick this up in a couple of hours, will someone know where it is?"
"Go to the front desk and ask for me to be paged, and I'll get it for you, but I have also put many sarcastic notes in the system so people can find it," she assured me.
"Alright, we'll go with that."

Once I finished my appointment, I drove to get my flooring. I walked up to the front desk and asked for the department manager. The woman at the desk (not to be confused with the girl from the last time), told me she was back at the flooring department and that I could find her there. OK, she had told me to have her paged, but I'll play along. I went back and waited while the DM finished up with some other customers.

I introduced myself and she said, "Hi, nice to meet you, I am SO sorry for all of this. Are you still mad at me? I felt so bad because I really wanted to fix things for you and you just kept ripping a strip off of me on the phone."
"I'm sorry. I'm not mad at you, I'm just so frustrated over this whole disaster. We ordered this flooring two months ago and there has been one screw up after another. I just want to get my floor put in," I explained.

The DM asked the guy from the department (yep, the same guy from Saturday night...the same guy who screwed up the initial order) to go get my flooring and bring it up front for me. I then joined the DM at the front desk to have the order straightened out and credited to our Visa.

As you may recall, the first roll I received was 4 1/2' tall by 12' rolled up. The corrected order should then be 6' tall by 12' rolled up. Guess what arrived. A 12' long roll. I looked at it with wide eyes. "Oh, they rolled it the other way this time...hopefully this can fit in the car."
"Uh-oh...you don't have a truck with you?", the DM asked.
"Nope, I'm driving an Accord. I was expecting this to be 1 1/2' longer than the last roll. Well, let's give it a try."

I thanked the DM for her help, and she apologized again for the major screw-ups. Flooring Guy followed me out to the car with the flooring on a cart. I opened the trunk, flipped down the little pass-through and fed the roll through it toward the front of the car. Flooring Guy just gave me this look as if to say "you're pretty stupid to have only brought a car for this", and I simply said "Don't...even", and sent him on his way. After reclining the passenger seat and dropping the window, I was able to get the roll to rest on the side mirror and close the trunk. No problems.

I brought the roll home and placed it in the livingroom. "How will we get this upstairs?", The Squeeze asked me later that night. Good question. Either it has to go back outside and passed up onto the balcony or we unroll it downstairs and roll it up the other way. I think we'll do that tonight to get it out of our way until our installer can make it back to put it in. Hopefull this weekend.

I hope we're not in for a surprise when we unwrap it and unroll it. Keep your fingers crossed.

Comments:
If I were a betting woman, I'd lay$20 (US) down that it's 12x12...morons. I feel bad for the one competent person at Home Depot.
 
nope, it was actually right this time! hard to believe, I know.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?