Tuesday, June 17, 2008



Another whirlwind weekend! Friday night The Squeeze and I joined my business partner and his squeeze and the young lad who works for us and his girlfriend for a night of fun. We started by seeing John Pinette do his stand-up routine. It was a great show. If the name doesn't ring a bell, go to YouTube and watch a few of his numbers. Funny, funny stuff. In honour of Mr. Pinette, The Squeeze and I took in a Chinese buffet before meeting the others for the show.

We planned to visit the girls Sunday morning before taking my father out to the racetrack to watch the ponies do their thing. Knowing time was tight, we made alternate arrangements with Weezie, my baby-mama. She was thinking of going out to a movie Saturday night with her girlfriends, but her mother bailed on her and hit the bingo hall to get her fix. We decided to go see the kids that night so Weezie could go out, and we'd get to spend time with the girls and not have to rush out early Sunday morning.

We arrived late afternoon and Weezie and the girls presented The Squeeze and I with our Father's Day gifts. Zoe made us a cute card and a decorated mini-pie tin for my keys and change. Brynn made me a card in the shape of a necktie, and she had painted a coffee mug for me. Weezie also got us a card and some scratch & win lottery tickets. After we opened the presents, Weezie's friends came to pick her up and she was on her way.

We had a fun time playing with the girls until it was time for dinner. Zoe eats like a bird, but I managed to get her to finish her lasagna. Brynn...no problems there. She especailly loves vegetables, and asked for more three times. Guess that explains why I always find corn.....nevermind. TMI!

After dinner I cleaned up and washed the dishes while Poppy and the girls played with their huge Play-doh collection. Then the four of us went into the family room and played in there until it was time for Brynn to go to bed. She was pretty exhausted. I heated up a bottle of milk for her and took her up to her room, changed her, hugged her, kissed her good-night and put her in the crib with her bottle. She sucked on the bottle as I was leaving her room, then she pulled it out and said "Bu-bye Da-da". "Bu-bye sweetie, see you soon", I replied. I closed the door and tried to fight back the tears. Am I the luckiest guy in the world???

When I came downstairs, Zoe and Poppy were playing quietly until it was time for her to head off to bed. It's so strange how well-behaved she can be when it's just her, but when her sister is around, Zoe just refuses to listen and will do everything in her power to annoy you. The typical attention-getting routine, I guess.

We headed home shortly after Weezie came back from the movies, and we got into bed moments after getting in the house.

Sunday morning we headed out to meet my family at the track for Father's Day. Everyone was there except my one notoriously late brother and his wife. I still don't know why they didn't show. Maybe they were there but couldn't find us, but we're a pretty tough crowd to miss. I haven't been to a horse race in years, and I didn't have a clue what I was doing then, and I still didn't know that day. I placed a few bets and didn't win anything. I liked the names of two horses, so I asked my sister how I could place a bet for both of them.

"You could do an exactor," she told me.
"Ya-huh....and that means...?"
"Just tell the person in the booth that you want to box 5 & 7, for example. If 5 & 7 come in first and second, in either order, you win the exactor pot."

I decided I'd go for it, except I was thinking of 5 & 9. As The Squeeze and I headed to the ticket booth, I thought, "Hmmm...my sister wins all sorts of contests. I should probably play 5 & 7 because that's what she just happened to say." So I put down $4 on a $2 boxed exactor on 5 & 7. When the race started, 5 & 7 were in the lead right off the start, and I became one of those people who was sitting there yelling at the horses. They kept their lead and 5 & 7 finished first and second. On a four dollar bet I won $66.40. As I went to collect my winnings, my sister-in-law asked how much I bet, and I told her I put down $100, just to freak her out. Hehehe...it worked.

The Squeeze and I went together on a couple of triactors, but we sucked at trying that. Our problem was that we examined and bet based on the statistics of past races, or at least we think we did. We really had no idea how to read the race programmes. I tend to do better by picking a name I like, or riding on my sister's coattails. The sad thing is that my sister wasn't betting that day. She was just there to hang out and look after her hilarious 2-year-old grandson.

We all made our strategic plans for the last race. I picked a couple of horses for another exactor, and as I walked past my family, my father joking said, "Bet on #11 to win", and everyone laughed because 11 was a long shot with huge odds against him. I laughed with them all, but once I was at the ticket counter, I placed my planned bet and decided to place a bet on #11 to win. Wouldn't you know that #11 won?! Of course, by that time a lot of people must have bet on 11 and the odds dropped quite a bit, but I still wound up winning $56.50 on a $2 bet.

The Squeeze and I split the winnings, and much like at the casino the week before, we came out ahead. I announced to my family that I'm considering quitting my job and gambling for a living, and we laughed and laughed.

We discussed going out for dinner and decided upon a nice popular family restaurant not far from the track. The Squeeze and I raced there so we could put our name on the waiting list. We arrived, somehow managed to find parking, fought through the crowd outside and in the lobby and wrote my name and number in our party (10). We discovered that it would be at least an hour wait. My brother suggested another place down the road, so we headed over there, but left our name on the list in case that place was packed. Sadly, it wasn't. I think it took about an hour before getting our food. Most of us ordered fish & chips, and both were very, very greasy. My sister didn't get her order until we were all about half way through ours. We weren't even able to have a conversation because we were seated in the "dining room" about 3 feet away from the band which never took a break.

I envy the people who claimed to be us and took our table at the other restaurant.

When my niece was young (1 or 2, she's now 9 or 10), my mother had her at a family funeral (can't remember whose as I think I was still living in CA then) and at the brunch my niece wanted peas and lots of them. She, however, called them balls and would scream for balls when she would finish a helping.

Apparently, that made for a really pretty diaper.
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?